Sunday 20 March 2011

Random interesting experience: new film market research

So I found myself on a tour of Premier Inns in northern England recently. For those not familiar, they're a chain of budget hotels beloved of business-folk and stag dos (I've been there in both capacities this month).

In the reception of a Newcastle branch, my fellow stag attendee and I were invited by a 40-year-old lady to take part in a film survey in one of the suites.
My religion-dar triggered briefly and I whispered to said chum that we'll run if they're forcing any books down our throats.
We also emphasised that we had to get a train in 30 minutes but were told it'll be quick.
It weren't.
We were taken into a conference suite where we were given the smallest laptops I ever did see and then had to watch footage of a train to confirm that we could both see and hear it, as well as fill in questions one by one. Most were to filter out media types.
And then I was asked how excited I would be by Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and xXx: The Return of Xander Cage.
Thor I'm keen to see. The others not so much but I'm intrigued that PotC4 is based on a Tim Powers novel.
We were finally shown, on this uber-tiny screen, two versions of the Thor trailer and were asked to write what we expected from the movie on the basis of the trailers.

I did feel like I was cheating as none of the footage seemed new to me. And, whilst not a huge Thor fan, I've read and enjoyed the early parts of Walt Simonson's run.
So I wrote that I expected "viking super-heroics" and did mention that I was familiar with the comics.

And at that point, I ran out of time and had to run to catch the train so God knows how many other trailers I was expected to sit through.
This was a slightly odd insight into the film industry's market research practices. This hotel is on the periphery of the city centre so the researchers wouldn't get much in the way of passing traffic.
And the screens were pitifully small. I know times are tough but surely the industry can provide better screens and also have staff give more accurate estimates as to how long the survey will take.
At least, it were better than ten years ago when my little uni posse were invited to a free screening of Road Trip and couldn't leave (free was the right price for that....)

No comments:

Post a Comment